Call your doctor immediately if you have any of these symptoms
Signs of Pre-term labor
(Labor 3 weeks or more before your due date)
- Uterine contractions (often painless); 4 or more in an hour
- Menstrual-like cramps (may be constant or they may come and go)
- Dull lower backache (lower back pain that may move to the sides or front and does not go away when you change positions)
- Pelvic pressure (may be mild or may feel like the baby is going to
- Increase in vaginal discharge (may become pink or brown, mucousy or watery)
- Bleeding (small amount; if large amount call 911)
- Pre-Term Labor
Because the warning signs of pre-term labor may not be painful, check yourself every day for contractions. Twice a day for 30 minute periods lie down on your left side and place both of your hands on your abdomen. If your uterus is contracting, you will feel your entire abdomen get hard or tight and relax or soften. Note the time each contraction starts, how long it lasts, and when the next tightening occurs. Check for any of the other warning signs of preterm labor every day.
Signs of Possible Complications of Pregnancy
- Pre-term labor signs (see above).
- Headache, which doesn't go away (especially if severe or if you also have nausea or blurred vision, or are seeing spots) or lots of swelling in your face, hands or feet.
- Leaking of fluid from the vagina (regardless of the amount). Note color and smell.
- Vomiting and/or prolonged diarrhea (can cause dehydration and preterm delivery).
- Pain or burning on urination, chills, or fever greater than l00 degrees F (38 C).
- Dizziness or chest pain.
- Baby is moving less than usual.
- Any bleeding or spotting from the vagina (may be brown, pink, or red; if blood is red and large amount, call 911.)
- Any fall or injury to your abdomen.
Signs of Full term Labor
- Contractions that are 5 minutes apart for an hour, and do not go away with rest. (If this is not your first baby, or if you have had fast labors in the past, call when contractions are 10 minutes apart).
- Any amount of watery fluid leaking from the vagina.
- Bleeding from the vagina.
Also call if you have a feeling that something is just not right.